Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Why Natural Remedies

Since my sons were born I have done a lot of research on home remedies, natural remedies, natural cures, supplements, and wellness. Mostly I was looking for a good reference to use, so that we would not have to go to the doctor's all the time. After all we have been told several times how there is nothing a doctor can really do for a cold (virus) and it isn't good to use antibiotics a lot.

Well, kids get colds a lot. Something about the immune system not having immunity to all viruses and bacteria, it has to build itself up. So I started looking for different things I can do for runny noses, stuffiness, symptoms of colds. I found a lot of information on that, things to do like using a vaporizer, giving them vitamins and not using cough syrup. Through all the research I did, I found that a lot of cold medicines, have very little to no effect improving symptoms, and they are full of unnecessary chemicals, that can cause damage to their digestive tracts.

Here is a link about a recall of many medications for children, while this email is listed as an urban legend the site explains it was true in November 2000, and has been taken care of. My thought on the issue is this, how many people, kids, babies were hurt by this before they did anything, how many used this dangerous drug before there was a recall. Even more what is next, what is in the drugs that are considered safe now, that in a year or two we will find out has caused a bunch of problems and is being recalled? That is what scares me the most.

So, the first thing I bought was the doctor's book of home remedies for children, and I have used it many times, then I started asking around, and looking online for home remedies that have been used for ages for children. The way I see it is the human race has made it this far, and most home remedies have no side effects, won't cause other problems, usually work, but cause no harm if they do not. And of course, being the frugal mom that I am, home remedies usually cost very little.

The best resources I have found online are e books, written by people who are experienced with home remedies and how they work, and what they work for. My favorite e book I use for home remedies that is available online is Home Made Medicine.

No comments: